Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Grad School Top 10

What now? I am graduating with a Masters in Literacy Education from UBC in a week? Unreal! The day is finally here.

Over the last two years (beginning in September 2010), my life has been dedicated to my studies and trying to maintain some semblance of a running classroom.  Often, when my graduate studies were going well, my teaching seem less organized. Often, when teaching seemed to be going well, my grades in my Masters seemed to suffer oh so slightly. (Alternately, I just did not sleep.)

One of the biggest sacrifices, however, was that the amount of music in my life decreased hugely and my soul felt that.  I was no longer able to take violin lessons because, well, there just wasn't the time to properly dedicate to practising. I wasn't able to attend as many concerts due to ticket prices and time constraints. Between tuition rates and twenty-five page papers, live music had to move down on the priority list. After having my thesis approved on August 26th, I've been able to attend more recitals and concerts and it is simply wonderful! 

Nonetheless, graduating in a week has rendered me quite reflective.  Be forewarned, this list is a combination of the utterly ridiculous and the very serious. 

I present to you my Top 10 Things I did in Grad School. 

1) I read a lot of stuff. (No like actually, I really did.)




2) I spoke a lot of French and learned many new French words, like "jaser" - which means to chat!

3) I learned how to teach a child to read - properly.

4) I got to live and study in Montreal - twice. These were, without a doubt, the two most incredible summers of my life. I wouldn't trade them for an entire Henle edition of all Schubert's works.

5) I learned about ethics in research, teaching, and writing and the value of intellectual property.

6) I complained a lot. 

7) I didn't sleep. (Needed Wotan to cast a spell of Magic Fire I guess!)



8) I typed a lot of words on the computer screen. I think I used that keyboard thing that has letters?

9) I kind of went to the library...twice?

10) I was privileged to work with the most amazing group of educators in BC and saw what true, selfless collaboration looks like in a professional setting. 



Hats off in a week to finishing and to the pay raise that means more classical music albums! Hurrah!

No comments:

Post a Comment