Saturday, April 6, 2013

Double stops can be FUN!

Okay, so double stops aren't that fun. They're really difficult to learn how to play. They're frustrating and test the patience like no other element of violin technique.

I'm preparing for my RCM violin exam right now and I'm required to play thirds, sixths, and octaves in three different keys (major and relative minor.)  When I first started learning double stops, I was told by my teachers to play the lower note, then the higher note.  Once both notes were in tune, I could play both strings together.  I still believe that this is a reasonable method when beginning double stops.

However, there comes a point when you have to play your double stops legato and shift between them smoothly. MY TIME HAS COME.

Moment of truth: over the last month, I've been very discouraged by my violin playing and how far behind I am in preparing these double stops for my exam.  After some experimentation I had a huge breakthrough today. Here are the keys to success that I've discovered:

1) Be patient with yourself. Double stops don't happen over night or even in a month.

2) Play the first two double-stops in the scale. Are they in tune? If so, continue with the third double-stop. If they're not, go back and fix your intonation.  Do not continue until each step of the double stop scale is in tune.  This might mean that in a week, you get the first four double stops of a scale in tune. That's PERFECTLY fine.  This is where rule one comes into play ...again.

3) Understand how the scale is supposed to sound and the intervals between each notes before beginning to play double stops. Yes, you should be able to sing a minor third, major third, minor sixth, major sixth, and octave. And yes, this will require knowing theory

4) Play the lower note of the double stop as a scale separately, using the double stop fingering and paying special attention to the intervals between each double stop.

5) Repeat step 4 for the upper note of the double stop.

6) Relax your left hand and make sure you're not squeezing. Leave some space to keep the hand formation without tension.

7) Use your WHOLE BOW. You paid for the whole thing...use it all.

And now, I'm going to put my violin away and watch the Habs beat up the Bruins.
A just reward for my practising!

No comments:

Post a Comment